Fluoride is a natural mineral that can be found in foods and beverage that we take daily. It is known to be teeth strengthening factor that helps in the prevention of cavities and other related dental diseases. We at Modesto Kidz Dental specializes in the care of the smiles of the children including the Fluoride applications to protect your child’s teeth as early as possible.
Useful tips of Fluoride for children
- Children should be kept away from Fluoride supplements
- Avoid using flavored toothpaste; it tends to encourage swallowing
- The recommended amount of fluoridated toothpaste for a child is pea-sized
- Be cautious with the age of the child when allowing them to use fluoride toothpaste, younger children tend to swallow, instead of spitting it out.
How does Fluoride work
Fluoride can aid in the prevention of cavities in two different ways:
- Fluoride hardens the tooth enamel of the developing teeth of children as well as the emerged adult teeth. It coats each teeth making it invulnerable to acids from the foods and drinks we intake daily that can cause damage.
- Demineralization and remineralization naturally occur in the mouth daily. Saliva can cause the demineralization to the teeth that dissolve the calcium and phosphorous. During remineralization, Fluoride is present to restore the loss of calcium and phosphorous strengthening the teeth.
Foods that are Good Sources of Fluoride
- Dental products; like toothpaste and mouthwash. Most dental products now have Fluoride, but its use should be supervised especially by children. Some children tend to swallow toothpaste instead of spitting it out which can cause over ingestion than the recommended daily amount.
- Processed foods and beverages . In the US fluoride is being added to water as a whole which makes the possibility of these products being exposed to Fluoridated water higher during its production.
- Tea Drinks. Plants absorb nutrients in the soil, same goes to tea plants. Tea leaves especially the old ones contain high levels of Fluoride that can be ingested when prepared.
- Mechanically deboned meat. It can produce high levels of fluoride when bone contamination occurs during the mechanical deboning process.
- Wine, coffee, and natural fruit flavored water . The amount of Fluoride in these products depends on the water used to prepare it.
- Vegetables and Fruits . Fluoride is also used in pesticides to kill insects and pests that damage fruits and vegetables. With its use, it can elevate the Fluoride content of these products.
Fluoride is the natural way of preventing harmful substances from harming your teeth. Knowing if your child is getting the right amount of Fluoride daily is essential in protecting their teeth in the early stage and for its benefits in the long run. Seek professional help for diagnosis, prevention, and treatments for any dental complications.
For your child’s dental care, call us at (209) 273-4733 for Fluoride Application services in Modesto, CA . We are conveniently located at 2801 Coffee Road, Bldg. B, Modesto, CA 95358 .